Carrington Coleman has long been recognized as a "lawyers' law firm." Some of the nation's most prominent law firms have entrusted their defense to us, knowing Carrington Coleman's reputation for superior representation of, and advice to, law firms and lawyers, as well as other professionals such as officers and directors, insurance professionals, architects and engineers, accountants, physicians, and hospitals.
Our clients’ victories and cases of note include:
- Successfully represented a prominent Dallas law firm against a sanctions motion seeking, among other things, to void the clients’ settlement agreement.
- Successfully represented a large international law firm in a legal malpractice action before the Texas Supreme Court, which reversed the bulk of the plaintiff’s damages on the issue of “collectibility” of the underlying judgment.
- Obtained summary judgment in bankruptcy court (affirmed on appeal to the district court) on behalf of a large international law firm in a case involving alleged malpractice in connection with out-of-court restructuring negotiations and bankruptcy. The damages sought by plaintiffs were in excess of $54 million.
- Secured dismissal of two attorneys in federal lawsuit alleging RICO violations, fraud, and other causes of action arising out of an alleged conspiracy between certain lawyers and chiropractors to defraud the plaintiff insurance company in connection with personal injury claims.
- Obtained a take-nothing jury verdict (which was affirmed on appeal) in favor of a large Texas firm in a case involving alleged malpractice, conversion, breach of fiduciary duty, and fraud arising out of a contingency fee case against an area car dealership. The jury not only found for the defendant firm on the malpractice claims, but also found that the attorneys' fees sought by the defendant firm were fair and reasonable.
- Obtained summary judgment (which was affirmed on appeal) in a case against a large Dallas law firm on the grounds that plaintiffs failed to provide any admissible evidence that they were injured as a result of the law firm's conduct. Plaintiffs sought damages in excess of $9 million.
- Secured dismissal of a putative class action against a law firm based on Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (related to real property foreclosure).
- Won summary judgment (affirmed on appeal) on behalf of a Texas law firm in a case arising out of the firm's representation of a debtor in bankruptcy proceedings. Plaintiffs sought damages in excess of $40 million. Plaintiffs' attempt to overturn the state-court ruling in bankruptcy court failed when the court ultimately refused to reopen the closed case, which was also affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of law firm in consumer complaint alleging violations of the fair debt collection and deceptive trade practices statutes in relation to residential real estate foreclosure.
- Won summary judgment in state court (affirmed on appeal) in a case against a large Texas law firm in which plaintiffs sought damages in excess of $90 million. Summary judgment was granted on preclusion grounds and on the grounds that plaintiffs failed to provide any admissible evidence of their alleged damages.
- Won summary judgment (affirmed on appeal) in favor of a large Dallas law firm in case arising out of the alleged negligent mishandling of probate litigation that resulted in a $20 million judgment against the law firm's client.
- Many more cases settled privately on favorable terms while avoiding the costs and publicity of trial.
Our attorneys are recognized authorities in the fields of professional liability and malpractice and have written and spoken on these topics on numerous occasions.
For more information, please contact:
Related Practice Areas:
Not certified by the Texas Board of Legal Certification except as noted.